Oh no! Where's the JavaScript?
Your Web browser does not have JavaScript enabled or does not support JavaScript. Please enable JavaScript on your Web browser to properly view this Web site, or upgrade to a Web browser that does support JavaScript.

Vaughan-Guynn-McGrady Chapel, Hillsville Virginia

Last updated on 25 days ago
B
The History of Vaughan-Guynn-McGrady Chapel goes back to 1913 when J. Crockett Guynn began stocking coffins and caskets at his country store. In 1919 Crockett Guynn joined with C.L. Smith, the undertaker for Galax, to purchase a horse-drawn hearse that was used in both Grayson and Carroll Counties until the building of hard-surface roads.

In 1923, realizing the need for updated funeral services, Mr. Guynn sent his oldest son, Gilman Guynn, to a school to be trained as a licensed embalmer and funeral director. When hard-surface roads made its use practical in 1928, the Guynn's purchased the county's first motor hearse.

Vaughan-Guynn Funeral Home in Galax was established in 1936 when Gilman Guynn, Glendi Guynn, Garnett Guynn and Wayne Vaughan bought out the funeral business of C. L. Smith. The Guynn's later added a modern funeral home in Hillsville to better serve Carroll County.

Dawes McGrady became a partner in the corporation when the funeral business in Hillsville was established and served as manager of the Vaughan-Guynn-McGrady Chapel for 42 years, from its beginning in 1952 until his retirement on October 1, 1994. Donald Yonce, employed with Vaughan-Guynn-McGrady Chapel since 1967, succeeded Dawes as manager beginning in December 1994. Mr. Yonce still serves in this capacity today.

The completion of construction at Vaughan-Guynn-McGrady Funeral Home in Hillsville in 1995 added a spacious new chapel and a large viewing room along with other improvements to modernize the facility.

Vaughan-Guynn-McGrady Chapel offers a variety of services that cater to every person's wishes while still abiding by the standards established by J. Crockett Guynn in 1902, where fairness and service to the community are the main priority.

https://www.vaugh...cgrady.com
You can view all discussion threads in this forum.
You cannot start a new discussion thread in this forum.
You cannot reply in this discussion thread.
You cannot start on a poll in this forum.
You cannot upload attachments in this forum.
You cannot download attachments in this forum.

Sign In

Not a member yet? Click here to register.

Shoutbox

You must login to post a message.
B
Baguio16 days ago
NOTICE: Highly likely I will NOT be making any posting for the next 3 weeks due to cataract surgery.
B
Baguio22 days ago
I'm looking for a volunteer who is willing to help by being an administrator. Duties would basically consist of adding content similar to what I currently add. Send me a private message if int
B
Baguio2 months ago
Slightly different view, feedback welcome via private messages.
B
Baguio2 months ago
Sorry about the lack of updates for the past 4 days, I was hospitalized for "being old" and just got back out. Sad
B
Baguio3 months ago
I've completed adding all of the Vaughans buried in Veteran or National cemeteries within the U.S. I'll revisit the burials in about 6 months to add the newly interred.